Saturday 26 October 2013

Review: Unfed (Undead #2) by Kirsty McKay

Unfed
Unfed (Undead #2) by Kirsty McKay
Publisher: Chicken House
Publication date: August 27th 2013
My rating: 3.5 stars

 

Fresh meat! From a hospital of horrors to a runaway zombie train, it's an all-new onslaught of the slavering undead in the sequel to Kirsty McKay's killer debut!

Just when you think you're out...it's the morning after the night of the return of the living dead. Or something like that. After running/bus-driving/snowboarding for her life alongside rebel Smitty, geeky Pete, and popular Alice, Bobby thought she'd found the antidote to the Carrot Man Veggie Juice that had turned the rest of their classmates into zombies. When Smitty (mmm...nom, nom) got chomped, Bobby pumped a syringe full of it into him herself.

But now Bobby's a prisoner in some hospital of horrors, with no clue how she got there. And Smitty is missing. What if he isn't cured after all? Bobby knows she's got to find him, even if it means facing Scotland's hungry hordes -- plus Alice's buckets of snark -- again. And this time, zombies aren't the only evil stressing her out. The brain-dead are bad enough, but how can Bobby stop the big pharma business behind the epidemic? Especially when her own mom works for the company?



*****Spoilers if you haven’t read Undead*****

Unfed sequel to Undead was an action packed ride! Zombies, gore, witty humor, and a little romance were laced through this fun read.

We pick up six weeks from where Undead left us with Bobby and Smitty on another school bus, escaping zombies and Xanthro pursuers.  Smitty was attacked and bitten, but he received the last antidote so no worries there.  Unfortunately, the bus tumbles and everything fades to black for Bobby.  She wakes up in a hospital and finds out she’s been unconscious for six weeks, and only Pete and Alice have been accounted for.  Smitty, her charming, rebel, sort-of-boyfriend, is MIA, and her mother is believed to be dead.  Also, Scotland has been overrun with zombies.  Of course, right as she is assured all is safe, things go completely to hell and zombies are everywhere! The horror/adventure that has become Bobby’s life begins again. 

 I love a good zombie tale!  It combines my love of survival stories with horror and adrenaline rushes that come from the inevitable chases.  You can find all of that in this series, however, where Undead and Unfed shine is definitely in the humor department.  Clever, snarky humor with campy references to favorite shows and movies such as The Terminator, Aliens, and Buffy throughout this story are sure to make you giggle.

Bobby is her usual take charge self always soldiering on and quick thinking on her feet.  Alice the previous (well, mostly) mean-girl, provides sass and dumb blonde clichés, and Pete is loveable as the nerdy group brain.  Russ is a new addition to the motley crew, handsome, with ninja like skills.  Smitty, my favorite sweet, rebel “bad-boy” was missing in much of this story and his absence left a huge hole for me.  One of the reasons I loved Undead so much is because of the push and pull between Smitty and Bobby which we don’t get until well after the 50% mark.  Overall, I think this is the main reason I didn’t love Unfed as much as Undead.

Even though I didn’t like Unfed quite as much as it’s predecessor, it was a good follow-up, and I enjoyed the ride.  Unfed wraps up somewhat, but as with any good zombie tale there are things left up in the air and the future is far from certain… This leaves me to wonder if there is another book in the works for this series. 




11 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this series really a lot. It's just so much fun. There's gotta be another book coming, but I read Undead over a year ago, and there still is no third one scheduled.

I agree that this one isn't quite as good as Undead--I missed Smitty during the first 2/3.


Kate @ The Midnight Garden

Melanie said...

I just read Kate's review yesterday and I have been really tempted to read this series because I mean, who doens't love humour AND zombies? totally up for this.

Lovely review, Rach! <33

Gabby said...

I had to skim thorough your review as I am still waiting to reading Undead -My TBR is getting insane now!- I know that I would enjoy this series and cant wait to get started on these books :)

Glad you enjoyed reading Unfed,
great Review Rachel

Unknown said...

Okay. I really, really need to read this now. I can't believe how much I'm missing! This is the second wonderful review of this series I read this week. I can't wait to meet Smitty! I mean, come on! Smitty?! That name alone. Gah. Remember Smith of Sex and the City. Gah-huh.

Rachel said...

I think you might like this series, Melanie! It's not too heavy on the romance and it laugh out loud hilarious. :)

Rachel said...

I know, Kate, you'd think there would be another book coming with the way things ended. If there is another book, I sure hope Smitty is present in more of it. :)

Keertana said...

I skimmed through this one as I haven't read the first book yet, but I'm glad that you did like this one, even if it paled in comparison to its predecessor. I'll probably wait till this whole series is out before picking it up, but I really does sound like a lot of fun. :)

Unknown said...

I remember really wanting to read Undead when it came out, but I forgot about it. I don't care for zombies a lot, but I like survival stories, and that this is funny.
Thanks for reminding me about this series!

Carina Olsen said...

I have not read book one, but I think this looks like an awesome series :) Glad you enjoyed this book, though you didn't love it. Thank you for sharing your honest thoughts. <3 awesome review :)

Vegan YA Nerds said...

This is such a fun series, and I do hope they'll be more! I think the survival aspect is why I enjoy books like this, and the humour! I missed Smitty, too, and would have loved for more of him!

Wendy Darling said...

I loved UNDEAD so much, I can't believe I still haven't read UNFED yet! Must do it soon. :)

Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...